Sunday, September 03, 2006

On Collecting Books - Volume #5

Being of fairly modest means, I am rarely able to purchase books of a quality high enough to truly excite the collector in me. Instead, I generally scrounge about, hoping to locate a "diamond in the rough".

That's okay - I've got kids to put through college yet, and occaisionally I do still manage to acquire some pretty darn interesting stuff.

Such as my most recent acquisition, an absolutely gorgeous book called "Dreaming of Africa" by the artist and naturalist Denis Clavreul. Not only is the oversized book, contained in an impressive clamshell case, positively brimming with wonderful large color reproductions of his many watercolor paintings of the African Savanna, there are also included 10 framable prints of the artist's watercolors.

This book normally retails for $150 in the US and I confirmed that price by completing a search of ABE and Powells books (Prices ranged from $150 to $267 USD!). But there, at my local Chapters, just happened to be a nice littlepile of five copies on sale at $39.99 each.

Really wished I could have afforded all five of them, but bought two copies - one for my own enjoyment and one to sell someday, once I get my online bookstore up and running!

Now, all I have to do is find some nice frames...

No comments: